Monday, March 2, 2009

Ah, the rules...and other things that keep me from God.

"When living only to keep the rules, we become like slaves. Our relationship with the Father gets reduced to something God didn't intend it to be. We were created to have intimacy with the Father. In order for this to be so, we must rely on rules, people, things, or other methods of attaining approval, significance, or righteousness. To be free, we must stay focused on Christ and His work on the cross. Jesus is the one who removed the yoke of bondage. Don't get back to it! Don't settle! God has more for you than bondage, rule-keeping, and the torment that comes from trying to live up to a standard that can never be fully attained." - Debbie Alsdorf

I love rules, regulations, guidelines, standards, and boundaries. When I go out to shovel the sidewalk, I very carefully examine where the fenceline is so that I don't go any further than the fence. When I have to confront a youth (or leader) about an issue, I love the fact that I am not relying soley on my gut, but can point to a law/guideline/rule/doctrinal standard that is responsible. I take great comfort in those things.

When I read that God isn't about me following the rules (Gal 5:2-4), but instead is about us relying on His grace through our faith, it fills me with terror. That forces me into an intimate relationship with God, instead of relying on a list of standards to follow. This doesn't mean that the rules are bad, just when they are followed sans relationship. Sometimes, I feel as though God just watches me and laughs and laughs as He sees me try to do all the stuff I'm sure He wants me to without ever asking Him if that's the case. Sometimes, I fear He is grieving all of the opportunities I miss to have a relationship with Him, instead relying on my own strength and abilities to get through life.

Freedom is what my heart desires...my head often gets right smack-dab in the way. May my law-following self submit to the relationship God longs for me to have with Him today and every day!!

No comments: