Monday, March 30, 2009

Leaning

"Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us!" - Nehemiah to the Israelites.

"Lord, what a comfort it is that You will fight for me! The battle is Yours. My battle is to trust You, lean into You with all of me. Help me to remember to trust You..." - Debbie Alsdorf

I always get this wrong. Either I fight myself, or I refuse to join the battle. I love the picture Debbie paints of leaning into God. When I think of leaning on something, I think of it has being a stable object; one that can fully support me. I think that's the trickiest part of leaning into God for me: I am constantly not in sinc with Him, so when I decide I'm too tired in my own strength, I stop and lean over and He's not there because I'm in the wrong battle entirely. Granted, that's not true (as God is never NOT there), but I do think there are times when I totally miss the battle. I'm the Israelite in on the other side of the city when the trumpet sounds who simply didn't hear it because she was too engrossed in the latest craze. I want to be leaning into God SO HARD, that those looking at me and my walk from the outside simply cannot tell where I am in comparison to God. What a cool idea: to be a seamless extension of God to the world around me.

God, help me to lean on You more and more every day!!

No comments: